Squaw Valley has issued an official statement in regards to the news that the coliform and E. coli was detected in the drinking water at the upper mountain section of the resort.
Since the issue was reported, the water has been consistently treated and is improving. Three of the four wells that provide water to the upper mountain are showing no E. coli and low levels of coliform, according to Wesley Nick, the director of Placer County Environmental Health.
Restaurants at the upper mountain remain closed, and skiers are not permitted to drink any of the water from the tap until the issue is completely resolved. No health issues have been reported, and top-to-bottom skiing is still allowed.
Liesl Kenney, the public relations director for Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, provided the full statement on behalf of the resort. She confirmed that a heavy rainstorm affected the water systems at Squaw Valley, particularly at Gold Coast and High Camp. Kenney also states that contaminated water was never offered to the public.
Kenney asserts that after routine testing, the water contamination was discovered and Squaw Valley contacted Placer County Environmental Health and Squaw Valley Public Service District. Squaw Valley also moved right away to consult with other water safety experts and have taken immediate steps to address the issue. The water will continue to be treated until the issue is fully resolved. Once it is deemed that the water is safe, High Camp and Gold Coast guests will be able to access the water again.